China Visa

China Visa

China Visa Types

  • Tourist (L) Issued to aliens who are going to PRC for tourism.
  • Business (M) Issued to aliens who are going to PRC for business and trade activities.
  • Student (X) Issued to aliens who are going for study, furthering studies.
  • Work (Z) Issued to aliens who are going for a post or employment.
  • Transit (G) Issued to aliens who are going to a third country in transit of PRC.
  • Private Visit (S) Issued to family members of foreigners residing in China for work, study, etc.
  • Family Reunion (Q) Issued to relatives of Chinese citizens or foreigners with permanent residence permit residing in PRC.
  • Noncommercial Visit (F) Issued to aliens who are invited to a lecture, scientific-technological & cultural exchanges, study tours, etc.
  • Talent (R) Issued to high-level personnel and much-needed highly talented people.
  • Crew (C) Issued to crewmembers involving international-based transportation by trains, airway and ships and their accompanying family members.
  • Resident (D) Issued to aliens who are going to reside permanently in PRC.
  • Journalist (J-1, J-2) Issued to foreign journalists for the purpose of reporting from PRC.


Do you need a visa to travel to China?

If holding an ordinary passport, you need to apply for a visa for China unless you are covered by China’s visa exemption policy, such as the 24/72/144 hours visa free transit schemes, Hainan 30-day visa-free access, visa exemption for tour groups meeting certain requirements, and visa-free entry for holders of APEC Business Travel Card. It’s worth mention that nationals of countries which have reached mutual visa-exemption agreements with China, like Singapore, Brunei, Japan, Qatar and Armenia, can also enjoy free entry to China. Those who hold a Chinese Temporary Residence Permit don’t need a visa for China either within the Residence Permit’s validity.

How to apply a visa for China?

 Step 1: Read the application requirements carefully and collect all required documents.

 Step 2: Visit the Chinese embassy or consulate in charge of your residence district and submit the application documents. In countries where there are Chinese Visa Application Centers (CVASC), you may need to go to the CVASC. Mail service in some countries is available.

 Step 3: Pay the fee and collect your passport and visa on the date shown on the pick-up slip. If you use mail service, just wait for your mail.

China Embassies

Chinese Embassy in Washington DC, USA
Chinese Embassy in Ottawa, Canada
Chinese Embassy in London, UK
Chinese Embassy in Canberra, Australia
Chinese Embassy in Wellington, New Zealand
 More Chinese Embassies and Consulates
- Last modified on Jan. 06, 2022 -
Questions & Answers on China Visa
Asked by Ally | May. 31, 2022 04:16Reply
Applying for T-visa to change to a T-visa.
Hi, I've been told that as my current employer is refusing to cancel my work permit, I have to apply for a T-visa before I can apply for Z-visa with my new employer. I'm currently residing in China. Is this allowed? The situation is very confusing as I'm being told by the psb centre and my new employer that it is possible but then another person at the psb centre telling me that it isn't possible.
Answers (1)
Answered by Ally | May. 31, 2022 04:17

Sorry I meant T-visa to Z-visa.
Asked by Richard from USA | Apr. 19, 2022 11:40Reply
Is China now open? I have a visa issued in 05Oct2015, but expires 05Oct2025.
I am married to a Chinese citizen. My wife is in China right now. I have a Chinese 10 year multiple visit visa (L) for 90 day stay and it expires 5Oct2025, it was issued 05OCT2015. I hear China is now open do I need to renew the visa, it has not expired? Is it correct China now open? What are current requirements to travel to China?
Answers (1)
Answered by Bruce | Apr. 22, 2022 01:50

China is not open and you need to apply for another visa to enter.
Asked by XMAS | Apr. 16, 2022 12:03Reply
Chinese visa from Japan
Is it possible to apply a Chinese visa from Japan as a tourist?
Answers (1)
Answered by Bruce | Apr. 22, 2022 02:39

I'm afraid no at present.
Ask a Question
Question Summary (100 characters)
Details (optional) (2,000 characters)